Thursday, April 10, 2008

Typical Day

So a lot of my friends what to know what a typical day at work is like, so here goes:

0445-I wake up look at the clock and curse
0530-The alarm makes me get out of bed
0600-Leave for work
0620-Arrive at work
0630-Roll Call in the roll call room, everyone gets assignment for the day and other important information (wanted suspects, officer safety information, etc)
0640-I take my seat for the next 12 hours working the front desk.
0645-Let the phone calls begin
0700-0830-Is the busiest time for BFMV (Burglary from Motor Vehicle) reports because everyone is walking outside to their car and notice their stuff missing.
0830-1200 answer and average of one phone call a minute...including one needing the number to Boy Scouts Of America (WTF)? Like I know that. Take numerous walk ins for lost wallets, cell phones and the ever lovely hit and run traffic accident.
1200-1530 more useless phone calls of people yelling at me because I don't speak spanish and that I seem to not care that their neighbor has parked on a public street in front of their house. Plus 3 or 4 calls of a car that doesn't belong in their neighborhood because the person driving it is a minority. The greatest part of that is I run the plate and 90% of the time it's one of their new neighbors! HA HA

1530-South Gang Unit starts following a wanted felon (for threatening to kill LAPD Harbor Officers), who is driving a car with 2 women and an 18 month old baby.
1531-Above unit is now in pursuit
1532-All of the division is racing to back up unit.
1535-PIT manuever has been authorized
1539-Unit is code 6 (stopped at a location)
1542-Unit puts out code 4, needs an RA (ambulance) for a male not conscious, not breathing, need a supervisors and additional units for OIS (officer involved shooting)
1542-2215-I sit at the ACC/Watch Commanders office and assist, including meeting one Chief Bratton who came by the station to check on the officers involved. Get the low down on how the shooting really went down (Suspect not only got shot at least twice in the head he also got run over with a front bumper take down from undercover officers who observed him firing on fellow officers, doing so left the suspects gun lodged into the window of the officers car!)
2215-head to my car for the drive home
2240-Arrive home

This day was on my 4th day in a row so counting this day I ended up working 56 hours.

No comments: